Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Transfer 15, Week 1 - August 30, 2011

Hi everyone
Oh gosh, it felt super weird writing that up there in the subject line.....Elder Lundeen goes home this transfer....that's in just 6 weeks! I can't believe it, it seriously feels like yesterday that we got to the country.....uh......weird.
Ok, this last week was pretty normal...not too much going on....no splits or anything. Monday was fun, we went to the Bakos family's house for lunch and to whip, that was a lot of fun. Lunch was super tasty (of course :) and whipping was super fun. Throughout the week, we were kind of prepping for the concert that we just put on on Sunday (I think I totally forgot to mention that we were having one....Hey, everyone, we had a concert this Sunday). So, that was a little recurring thing throughout the week.....We tried to get some networking done with the skateboarders and other people, we'll see how that goes later. On Friday, we tried out a finding idea....we pretty much just stood out on the walking street with a sign that said "gift books" and passed out pass-along cards about the Book of Mormon. We had quite a few people come over and take one, in addition to leaving their name and number - I'm interested to see how that turns out when we call them later. Saturday was pretty good, Sunday was nice, we had good lessons and talks, and afterwards we prepared for the concert...kind of stressful, but we managed to get everything organized and to practice, and we even got lunch in there somewhere. The concert went pretty well.....I sang in a total of three songs, two of which were fairly good, just becuase there were more people we were singing with, but the first one was kind of nerve-wracking. There were only 5 of us singing, the two sisters, a member, my companion and I, and I was the bass line; for those who don't know, I can't sing. Ok, that's a lie, I can sing the basic melody of something. But, singing something that I've never really payed attention to before was rather intersting. I've discovered that if someone else is singing a certain part, I can usually pick up on the notes they're singing and copy them....this was a little more interesting though, just because I had to listen to it played on the piano, and then sing it by myself (while everyone else was singing their parts...yeah). It sounded pretty cool though... and, the bass line had maybe 4 different notes, mostly just 2. So, that was neat. We had a good number of people come, and the missionaries from Debrecen came to help as well.
Yesterday, we ended up taking a work day because we had a meeting set up with the university here in Miskolc in the morning. That went pretty well. We talked with the head of the foreign language department to see if we could do any volunteering in the english classes or anything like that...she said she'd talk to the teachers and get back to us, so we'll see where that goes. Other than that, Monday was pretty normal as well...aside from the fact that we got the transfer calls. This transfer is definitely going to be interesting, there are a lot of interesting companionships...speaking of which, my companion was called into the office as the new AP (he's totally flipping out about it, he definitely wanted to stay in Miskolc, and never thought he would go AP) and Sister Wright is going to Dunaújváros (which is weird, we were totally expecting Sister Johnson to go, just because she's been here longer....I guess she's looking to break Sister Crosley's record :). Sister Johnson will be getting two mini-missionaries, each serving for three weeks. I'm not too familiar with the one coming for the first half, but I know the one coming for the second half from my time in the office - she's from Pest. So, that will be fun. Definitely encourage all of us to speak Hungarian more. And, I will be getting Elder Diamond, who is in the group below ours. So, that will be a lot of fun, it will be a blast to get to serve with him. It definitely makes things a bit more interesting for next transfer though, because I'm probably out, just because if we stay together for two, then his next companion after I go home will only have three weeks with him before he goes home...but that's getting ahead of myself......for now, I'm just excited...and a little bummed out, because we had a blast here in Miskolc with Elder Davis and Sister Wright...they will definitely be missed. :)
Alright, that's about it for this week.....I hope you all have a great time with your weekly happenings!
Elder Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment