Monday, October 25, 2010

Transfer 7, Week 4 (10-18-2010)

(I know, it's not the holidays or anything, I just wanted to start it off with something other than "hello eveybody")
So, things are going pretty good over here in Érd.....we had a pretty normal week, a lot of programs, a lot of time flyering for english class......we did have quite an interesting Friday though......(I'm kind of using this as a backup for my journal in case I forget to write in it, so sorry if this story seems boring or something. :) So, we had a program set up for 7:00 with a guy from angolóra who lives in Budaö's another little suburb thingy of Budapest, and it's just north of Érd. The problem is, there's no buses that go straight from here to there......we called him, and decided that the best way to get there would be to take the train into Budapest, then catch a bus from there to Budaörs......well, Elder Saunders doesn't really like taking buses, because there's usually a lot of waiting, we modified the plan, and just decided to take our bikes and bike from the train station to his house. Not too bad of a plan actually, he didn't live too far, and it was downhill. So, we started, got going, got to where we thought we needed to turn off the main road, but of course, there's no street signs (at least, if there are, they aren't conveniently located). We wandered around, finally got oriented, and ended up taking the road we needed. It was a gravel road, but looked fairly well traveled, so we didn't think too much about it. Well, gravel turned to dirt, which turned to grass, which turned to forest. Yes, we were on the right road, the map just failed to show that it was pretty much completely overgrown. We managed to make it through that to a nice paved road, traveled on that for a while, crossed a river (on a bridge :) and biked on another dirt road. This was where Elder Saunder's back tire popped. So, we made it back onto another paved road, and a random guy on a bike came up and asked where we were going. We told him the street, and he said he'd take us there. it was kind of a creepy experience, there weren't very many street lights or anything, and we're just following this guy in the dark. But, he got us to our destination, and told us that he'd bring a replacement for Saunder's, he turned out to be a super nice guy. After that, we went in, had some chit chat with the english class guy and his wife, and just as we were about to start the lesson, the doorbell rang. The guy had come back with the tire. So, they invited him in, and he commenced to tell his entire life story and philosophies. It was quite interesting, the only problem was, he took up the entire time. So, no time for a lesson. We told them we had to get going, went down and fixed the tire, came back up to wash our hands, he talked for another 15 minutes, then he said he'd take us back to the train station. So, we followed him, made better time going uphill to the train station than downhill to the guy's house (mostly because we were led by somebody who actually knew what he was doing... :) He waited for the train with us, we got to know him a little bit, he invited us to come over sometime when we're in the neighborhood, and then our train came, we got on, and finally made it home. The funny thing about this whole entire experience, is that Saunders looked at the map later, and discovered that the street where the english class person lives is right by the villamos stop where they went to visit somebody else. So, basically, we could have gotten off the train one stop sooner and taken the villamos all the way to his house. Nice. But, then we wouldn't have met this random nice bike guy. Oh, turns out he's run in an iron man......2 or 3, in the past 5 years, and he's about 67.........pretty intense. So yeah, that was Friday night.
Sunday was really awesome, one of our investigators (whom we just started meeting with) came to church. We have met with her once, and she came to church....that is quite rare here. So, she came, really liked sacrament meeting, and then after that, pretty much at least half of the members there came up to her, introduced themselves, said they were glad that she came, and invited her to stay for Sunday School. She pretty much was swarmed by people who wanted to make friends with her. It was super awesome, she stayed for the whole time, and by the time she left, she had a huge smile on her face, and she just looked like she had had the best Sunday of her life. It was pretty cool. We're excited to meet with her again and talk with her. Super awesome!
So, other than that....this week is consecration week, we'll be focusing on perfect obedience and extending the invitation to be baptized.....should be a great week, we've noticed things that we can be more obedient in, and it will be interesting to see how well our investigators react to the invitation. I guess I'll report on that next week. :) Until then, I hope you all have a great week, and keep on being awesome!
Elder Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment